Monday, December 1, 2008

Entering the Blogosphere. For Real.

Wow. I finally figured out what this blogging thing is all about. It’s about writing. On a regular basis. Duh.

For those of you who have hung in there with me during my many dry spells of blogging, I thank you. Frankly, I don’t know how you’ve remained so patient with me. The delivery of my blogs have been far too rare, like long, warm hugs we longed for as children that were administered far too infrequently. Starting today, I promise I’ll start showing more love, more often. (Smooch!)

Why have I had a change of heart? Here’s the scoop: I actually started reading other blogs. I noticed that there is a difference between online essay writing (which is what I was doing) and regular blogging (which is what everyone else on the Info Interstate does - short, to-the-point, unedited expressions of everyday life). As a former columnist and one whose book is a collection of 40+ essays, I am comfy with the thousand-word creative expression. It is a recipe I know well. Moreover, writing a hefty blog is what I thought blogging “should” be; give the readers some meat, dammit! However, I didn’t take into account one teensy little thing: I don’t have the time or gumption to write one of those big honkers each and every week. Call me LitWimp, but I just can’t crank out those online “Call Me Ishmael…” dandies as readily as others do. I guess my 39 years are catchin’ up to me.

So, instead of admitting to you, Dear Reader, that I was falling short of my own preconceived notions of proper bloggage, I decided to take the pansy way out: I have been ignoring you altogether. NO MORE!! I am going to take a cue from my literary siblings and begin an actual BLOG. Yes! You read it here first! You will begin to see my silly, inspiring, and/or Carrie Bradshawian rants much, much more. In fact, I have decided to throw down the gauntlet and attempt to write a blog entry FIVE times every week! “Can she really do it”, you ask? I sure as hell hope so. I like the relationship we have established. I want more of it! I want to share more of myself with you. So, I’ll say this only once: Forgive me if my blogs fall short of literary masterpieces. If you want to read my essays, buy my book! :) Kidding. (But not really.) Do doubt I’ll still deliver some big-ass blogs every once in a while. But, I have decided that blogging isn’t like sex; in the blogosphere, quantity is preferred over quality.

Starting on this beautiful first day in December, I am going to be doing more of what I love: writing. I am confident I will shed that nasty blog-guilt that has plagued me, and you will enjoy having your mojo dialed up on a regular basis. Until tomorrow (I hope!), I wish you a fond adieu!

Make it a great day.

PS - I’d like to give a shout-out to fellow Sarasota writer and Blogger Extraordinnaire MC Coolidge for being an unwitting inspiration for my attitude realignment. Please check out her blog too! She just did a review of Opening the Kimono. http://mcrealityonline.com/

No comments: