Monday, January 26, 2009

Bye Bye Burnie

I am happy to report that my recent cheek-branding from the vicious barrel of my curling iron is nearly gone.

Last week, however, was a totally different story. I was a disaster, both physically and emotionally. My hot-dog sized burn had morphed from a beet-red color to dark purple-scabby. In my hyper-sensitive, ego-fractured state, I felt like I resembled a burn patient on E/R. The look of the wound was getting worse, and my emotional state was in perfect sync with it. The creepier, darker, and flakier my wound became, the creepier, darker, and flakier I became.

The extent of my breakdown reached a crescendo on Friday afternoon. I had a subtle crying fit while dining with Michael at Tandoori, obsessively avoided all human interactions, and felt unbridled panic that I would forever be scarred by my stupidity and carelessness. In fact, I was so distraught that I didn't even want to have sex. THAT'S F@#KED UP!

During my dermal drama, Michael adopted his classic Prince Charming role. He listened to my whines, complaints, and fears without hesitation. He cuddled with me, assured me I was the most beautiful woman in the world to him, and lovingly stroked my four-alarm face. I cried and cried, wishing he wouldn't lavish me with so much tenderness; I felt unworthy of it. Eventually, his gentle words and touches broke through my wall of fear, and I surrendered to our love.

After receiving the World's Best Medicine (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), I was on the path towards recovery. Before I went to sleep, I washed my face with my friend Bev's "Aroma Borealis" natural facial cleanser and tonic, and gingerly covered my wound with my friend Elizabeth's primo grade lavender oil. My last step was to gaze at my reflection, trying my very best to see the beauty that my husband did.

When I woke up on Saturday morning, I was delighted to see that my burn had gotten significantly better. Instead of obsessing over it all weekend, I decided to focus on having fun. When I gave myself permission to be happy instead of pretty, I had a glorious weekend full of cuddles, conversation, and connection.

Over the next forty-two hours, I made a miraculous recovery after receiving continuous doses of lavender oil and love. Lo and behold, I woke up this morning with a fresh, new face. The scary hot-dog purple burn is completely gone and has been replaced with a tender, new pink patch of skin. My face seems to be a reflection of my current outlook. This morning I feel renewed, refreshed, and back in my power. Thankfully, I am no longer seeing myself as teeny, tiny, Victimgirl.

Here's a big shout-out to Michael for the love, Emma for the positive attitude, Bev and Elizabeth for the healing products, and Spirit for everything else. Thanks for helping me to rediscover my missing Mojo.

**************************************************************************************

For your consideration and/or comment:

What or who makes you feel better when you are down in the dumps?

**************************************************************************************

Visit www.TheresaRose.net to receive your Daily Dose of Mojo!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Dot-Com said...

So glad to hear you're healing - your words were so encouraging. Keep smiling :-)

seriously? said...

Ben and Jerry are my best friends...I am one with a tub of ice cream and all is better. Well, sometimes...then I start to worry about my butt in my jeans the next day and if I had chocolate then I may break out. GREAT!!! I am headed to the store to see my best friends. :)

Anonymous said...

I used to listen to Billy Joel's Greatest Hits when I was depressed...

Another good one to listen to is the Smiths...